Cisco 7600 Series 2-Port ATM OSM High Performance OC12c ATM for Aggregating High Speed Connections from Enterprise to Service Provider ATM Backbones.The rapid growth of Internet-enabled user applications has led to a dramatic growth in the bandwidth provi
Cisco 7600 Series 2-Port ATM OSM
High Performance OC12c ATM for Aggregating High Speed Connections from Enterprise to Service Provider ATM Backbones.
The rapid growth of Internet-enabled user applications has led to a dramatic growth in the bandwidth provisioned through service provider networks. In order to accommodate this growth, service providers are consolidating their various existing network architectures that deliver traditional Layer-2 WAN transport, such as Frame Relay and ATM, with those that deliver Layer-3 WAN services, such as high speed Internet access and Layer-3 VPNs. The consolidation of these network architectures optimizes the service providers capital investments, so that all such expenditures simultaneously benefits all network services.
Achieving the convergence of these network architectures is particularly challenging at the network aggregation points that must deliver a variety of services. The devices at these network aggregation points must be capable of providing an efficient transfer of network traffic from the customer access nodes to the core network and back. Therefore, these aggregation devices must provide scalable bandwidth and interface density between the access and core networks, while simultaneously supporting a wide range of network protocols, as well as quality of service (QoS), security, and accounting features.
The Cisco 7600 is designed to provide the performance, density, and features that are needed for network aggregation devices in such consolidated network architectures. The Cisco 7600 is a high performance aggregation router, which integrates high speed LAN and WAN modules, and is specifically intended for service provider networks.
The two port OC12c/STM-4c ATM Optical Services Module expands the connectivity options for the Cisco 7600 Series Routers and Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches. The cards are ideal for aggregating large enterprise virtual channels and connecting them to an existing ATM infrastructure.
The ATM OSM cards are standards based and completely compatible with the full-line of Cisco high-performance ATM switches and routers.
The Cisco 7600 Series ATM OSMs enable the integration of legacy ATM networks with next-generation IP backbones in several ways. The following applications provide two examples.
With the use of the Cisco 7600 Series ATM line cards, service providers can now offer connectivity to customers via an ATM network.
TWO PORT OC12 ATM OSM FEATURE SUMMARY
• Parallel Express Forwarding (PXF) IP Services Processor on the line card. The PXF IP Services Processor consists of a 4 x 4 array of microprocessing units, each equipped with local memory, to deliver a pipelined, parallelized processing array. Each PXF IP Services Processor can apply IP services to 16 different packets simultaneously-all with high levels of performance. The OC12 ATM line cards are populated with one PXF IP Services processor.
• High-Performance forwarding of distributed IP service.
• Programmable software feature sets for "evergreen" IP service delivery. Unlike traditional ASICs, which have feature sets hardcoded in silicon, each PXF engine can be enhanced in the field via an easy software upgrade.
• Deep packet buffering to maximize TCP throughput, with advanced traffic management and prioritization schemes to ensure deterministic packet delivery.
• Four additional ports of Gigabit Ethernet provides connectivity to other routers or servers without burning up "customer-facing" line card slots.