The Cisco 16- and 36-port 10/100 EtherSwitch modules for Cisco Integrated Services Routers series routers offer branch office customers the option to integrate switching and routing in one platform. Combining robust Layer 3 flexible WAN routing with low-d
16- and 36-Port 10/100 Ethernet Modules for Cisco 2600/2800/2900/3600/3700/3800/3900 Series Routers
The Cisco 16- and 36-port 10/100 EtherSwitch modules for Cisco Integrated Services Routers series routers offer branch office customers the option to integrate switching and routing in one platform. Combining robust Layer 3 flexible WAN routing with low-density line-rate Layer 2 switching, the EtherSwitch modules provide straightforward configuration, easy deployment and integrated management in a single platform.
The EtherSwitch options include a 16-port network module (NM) and a 36-port high density service module (HDSM) version. The 36-port HDSM utilizes the extra capacity from the wider interface form factor available only on the Cisco 2851, 3660, 3700, and 3800 series routers to increase the maximum possible port densities. The 16-port EtherSwitch NM is available for the Cisco 2600, 2800, 3600, 3700, 3800, 2900 and 3900 series routers.
The combination of Cisco Integrated Services Routers and the EtherSwitch modules utilize the powerful features available in both Cisco IOS software and Catalyst switching. The EtherSwitch module hardware supports 802.1p Layer 2 prioritization, while Cisco IOS software supports Layer 3 DiffServ and Class of Service (CoS) markings for critical business data. Coupling Layer 2/3 prioritization techniques, with the QoS for the WAN, this integrated routing and switching combination ensures low latency for critical business applications. The Cisco EtherSwitch modules includes 10/100 switched Ethernet ports with options for Cisco pre-standard power over ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet. Features such as port autosensing, QoS and VLAN support from 802.1p and 802.1Q standards, and 802.1D Spanning Tree protocols are standard on the EtherSwitch modules.
The Cisco 16- and 36-port EtherSwitch modules are available with optional Cisco pre-standard Power over Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet support. EtherSwitch bundles are available with these options pre-installed for easy ordering. The integrated power over ethenet supports Cisco IP phones and Cisco Aironet wireless access points. An external power supply is needed for this feature in Cisco 2600/3600 platforms. An Internal power supply option is available on the Cisco 2800, 2900, 3700, 3800 and 3900 Series. For 802.3af power over Ethernet support one of the newer EtherSwitch Service Modules (NME-16ES-1G-P, NME-23ES-1G-P, NME-XD-48ES-2S-P, SM-ES2*-P family or SM-ES3*-P family) or one of the EtherSwitch HWICs (HWIC-4ESW-POE or HWIC-D-9ESW-POE) are recommended.
Cisco EtherSwitch Module Summary
• NM-16ESW: One 16-port 10/100 EtherSwitch Network Module
• NM-16ESW-PWR: One 16-port 10/100 EtherSwitch NM with Cisco pre-standard PoE support
• NM-16ESW-1GIG: One 16-port 10/100 EtherSwitch NM with 1 GE (1000BaseT) port
• NM-16ESW-PWR-1GIG2: One 16-port 10/100 EtherSwitch NM with Cisco pre-standard PoE and GE
• NMD-36-ESW: One 36-port 10/100 EtherSwitch High Density Service Module
• NMD-36-ESW-PWR: One 36-port 10/100 EtherSwitch HDSM with Cisco pre-standard PoE
• NMD-36-ESW-2GIG: One 36-port 10/100 EtherSwitch HDSM with 2 GE (1000BaseT)
• NMD-36-ESW-PWR-2G3: One 36-port 10/100 EtherSwitch HDSM + Cisco pre-standard PoE and 2GE
• PPWR-PS-CHASSIS: One power supply chassis for Cisco 48V (360W) power supply
• PWR-CHASSIS-360W: One power supply chassis and 48V power supply for EtherSwitch
• PPWR-PS-360W: One 48V (360W) power supply for EtherSwitch Modules
• PPWR-DCARD-16ESW: One Cisco pre-standard PoE daughtercard for 16 port EtherSwitch NM
• PPWR-DCARD-36ESW: One Cisco pre-standard PoE daughtercard for 36 port EtherSwitch HDSM
• GE-DCARD-ESW: One GE (1000BaseT) daughtercard for EtherSwitch Modules