High-Performance Enterprise Access, Branch, Small and Medium-Sized Business (SMB) and Carrier Ethernet Supervisor Engine with CenterFlex Technology.
The Cisco Catalyst 4500 Supervisor Engine 6-E with CenterFlex technology is an intelligent, high-performance, next-generation extension to the Cisco Catalyst 4500 Series optimized for customers deploying business-critical applications. CenterFlex technology is enabled by Cisco developed application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs) specific to the Supervisor Engine 6-E that deliver industry-leading centralized performance and configuration flexibility. CenterFlex technology helps enable granular optimization of real-time voice, video, and data communications to ensure workforce productivity and profitability and customer success for organizations of all sizes.
Cisco Catalyst 4500 Supervisor Engine 6-E With Centerflex Technology Feature Highlights
• Centralized 320-Gbps switching capacity with 250Mpps of throughput
• IPv6 support in hardware, providing wire-rate forwarding for IPv6 networks
• Dual 10 Gigabit Ethernet uplinks (X2 optics)
• Hardware forwarding entries: 256,000
• Quality of service (QoS) services hardware entries: 64,000
• Security services entries: 64,000
• Low latency
• Flexibility to operate at 6 or 24 Gbps per line-card slot
• Ability to mix and match 6-Gbps classic and 24-Gbps E-Series line cards, with no performance degradation
• Twin gigabit converter modules that enable flexibility for up to 4 Gigabit Ethernet (Small Form-Factor Pluggable [SFP]) uplinks in the X2 optic slots
• Dynamic hardware forwarding table allocations for ease of IPv4-to-IPv6 migration
• Advanced QoS support with up to 8 queues per port, dynamic queue sizing, and hierarchical policing to provide flexibility and control
• Enhanced security with Unicast Reverse Path Forwarding (uRPF) for added protection against network spoofing attacks
• File allocation table (FAT)-based file system for easier network administration
The Cisco Catalyst 4500 Supervisor Engine 6-E is compatible with classic Cisco Catalyst 4500 line cards, chassis, and power supplies, providing full investment protection. The Supervisor Engine 6-E delivers 24 Gbps per slot of switching capacity when deployed with the E-Series line cards in a Cisco Catalyst 4500 E-Series chassis. You can mix and match classic line cards and E-Series line cards within a Cisco Catalyst 4500 E-Series chassis with no performance degradation. When you deploy the Cisco Catalyst Supervisor Engine 6-E with classic line cards, all of the new features except the 24-Gbps per-slot switching capacity are inherited.
The Cisco Catalyst Supervisor Engine 6-E also provides flexibility and an easy migration path to 10 Gigabit Ethernet uplinks with dual-purpose X2 slots that can accommodate wire-speed 10 Gigabit Ethernet optics or Cisco Twin Gigabit Converter modules, enabling Gigabit Ethernet SFP optics.
The Cisco Twin Gigabit Converter Module, which ships standard with the Supervisor Engine 6-E (unless you order 10 Gigabit Ethernet optics on the configuration tool), converts a single 10 Gigabit Ethernet X2 interface into two Gigabit Ethernet port slots that can be populated with appropriate SFP optics, providing a total of 4 Gigabit Ethernet uplinks if used in both X2 interface slots. With the flexibility offered by the Cisco Twin Gigabit Converter Module, you can initially use the gigabit uplinks and then, as your business demands change, you can simply remove the Cisco Twin Gigabit Converter Module and insert 10 Gigabit Ethernet X2 optics to provide full line-rate 10 Gigabit Ethernet uplinks without having to upgrade. The ability to support both Gigabit Ethernet uplinks and 10 Gigabit Ethernet uplinks on a single supervisor engine further demonstrates the flexibility and the investment protection of the Cisco Catalyst 4500 Series.
The increased capabilities and investment protection provided by the Supervisor Engine 6-E and CenterFlex technology facilitates not only scalability for today's network requirements but also future-proofing by providing significant hardware resources for future growth.
Predictable Performance and Scalability
The Supervisor Engine 6-E provides a fourfold increase in per-slot switching capacity from previous-generation Cisco Catalyst 4500 supervisor engines: from 6 to 24 Gbps per slot. Table 1 highlights the performance and scalability enhancements of the Cisco Catalyst 4500 Supervisor Engine 6-E.